Ingredients in this recipe:
- 0.5 kg of beef with bone
- 0.4 kg of potatoes
- 0.4 kg of white cabbage
- 0.3 kg of red beet
- 150 g of tomato concentrate
- 2 small onions
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 1 medium sized parsley
- spoonful of vinegar
- spoonful of sugar
- spoonful of olive or sunflower oil
- 10 grains of pepper, 2-3 allspice, 5 bay leaves
- 6 cloves of garlic
- salt to taste
- wheat flour
- sour cream
takes 2 h — makes ~5-6 portions
- Take beef with bone and cook bouillon with water. Next strain the beef and bone the meat. Put strained bouillon back in the pot and let it cool off (A). Put the beef into the bowl and lay it aside – it will be needful only while serving the Ukrainian borscht.
- Peel 0.4 kg of potatoes, wash them and cook in water. Salt water and cover a pot with a lid.
- While potatoes are boiling shred the white cabbage (C). Put aside.
- At that time you can also peel red beets and cut them into matchsticks.
- When boiled cut potatoes into cubes (B). Lay it aside.
- Go back to red beets. Throw them onto the frying pan, add some oil and light the fire. Pour beets with the spoonful of vinegar, add the spoonful of the sugar and the portion (about 150 g) of the tomato paste.
- After a moment pour the beef bouillon over the frying pan in order to completely cover beetroots and tomato pasta. Mix precisely. Stew all the way to the moment, when beets become tender (D). It will last about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime cut up 2 carrots and 1 parsley into thin belts. Cut 2 small onions (or 1 big) into cubes.
- Prepare the second frying pan and heat up the suitable for frying portion of butter on it. Next add the carrot, parsley and onion cubes (E). Fry about 10 minutes.
- While vegetables are being fried throw previously cooked and diced potatoes (B) into the bouillon and heat the bouillon again.
- Throw the shredded cabbage into the bouillon when warmed (C). Cook gently for 15-20 minutes.
- Next throw contents of both frying pans into the bouillon: beet-tomato concentrate (D) and fried carrot and parsley (E). Precisely stir the borscht in the pot.
- Add 10 grains of the black pepper, 2-3 of the allspice and 5 bay leaves.
- Prepare the roux of the flour and butter, add to the borscht and mix.
- Shred parsley leaves, throw into the ukrainian borscht.
- Squeeze 6 cloves of garlic to the soup. Precisely mix the whole.
- Turn the heat off and put soup back on the hour for slow cooling. During this hour all tastes will penetrate each other and compose together.
After an hour the borscht is ready to be served. You should again heat it. Notice that the Ukrainian borscht is cooked on the meat bouillon, but without the meat. Into every plate we put the portion of the beef cooked earlier, then we pour the Ukrainian borscht. Next put with the spoon a portion of the sour cream into every plate. Don't mix the cream with the borscht. Sprinkle the borscht with the shredded dill or the parsley leaves.
I hope that you find this ukrainian borscht recipe useful. Enjoy your meal! Smacznego! :)